Thursday, November 02, 2006

Patrice Leconte


Patrice Leconte is one of those typical intellectuals who know how to show off their exceptional ability in the their profession. On one hand, we see this gentleman who is very well aware of his status as a movie-director, and on the other hand, he could portray himself as being doubtful about his own career by saying that he didn't want to be classified as the classicism director.

Nevertheless, his movies, classicism or not, have been one of the best I would've ever seen. My first Leconte movie was Le Mari de la coiffeuse, and it blew me away. It was one of the moments, that told me how appealing to emotions, cinema could possibly become. L'homme du train was not as exceptional, but it told a truth with a fatalistic perspective, that Leconte seems to like a lot.

Then I watched these two classicist movies - le veuve de st pierre and ridicule. It is almost a time-travel into the early modern France, watching his movies.

No comments: